[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Oct 8 16:00:52 EDT 2013

On 10/8/2013 7:54 PM, John Curran wrote:

>> And when Acme Hosting, who was doing a brisk business selling VMs to Asian customers, and now has 55% Asian customers in total comes to you to request a  bunch of IP addresses for VMs that they are selling to a new set of *US based* customers, you would still approve now but deny (because of the plurality of existing usage) under the new policy?
>    Correct, the "intent" of the request for additional IP addresses for new
>    in-region customers doesn't matter; we'd still look at the existing usage
>    assigned to customers.

I would claim that this answer is sufficient to know that the proposed
policy is wrong on its face, and that if we care about restricting
allocations the text we have now needs changing.

Obviously the new addresses would be coming from ARIN for use in the
ARIN region by customers located in the ARIN region. If that isn't
sufficient to get an allocation, I think we broke something.

Matthew Kaufman