[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 100, Issue 2

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 18:48:53 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2013, at 9:42 PM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that the reason this issue has been raised (at least
> from ARIN staff's perspective) is that folks from the AP region are
> obtaining address space from ARIN because it was easier than obtaining the
> addresses from LACNIC/AfriNIC.

That's interesting.   Especially since  AfriNIC  has more IPv4 free pool
than ARIN,  and ARIN should certainly not be supplementing this,   until
such time as  their remaining IPv4 is  a small number of  /8  equivalents
than in ARIN free pool.....

> However, I believe the primary point of the policy is to give ARIN staff
> official backing to revoke address space when they notice/are notified that
> the address space is being used out of region. The interests of LEA (and
> anti-spam/anti-phishing/etc. folks IIUC) are a bit orthogonal, even if it
> was LEA interests that generated the policy proposal (this time).

I would say no.....  it should give no backing for revokation,  unless the
applicant committed a fraud, by lying to ARIN staff, or submitting an
application under false pretense regarding the use of the IP numbers.

In which case,  the allocation could be revoked anyways.

I would like to propose an addendum to the ARIN RSA agreement in
conjunction with the policy, in that case:

CHANGE
   "(i) ARIN will take no action to  reduce the Services currently provided
for Included Number Resources due to lack of utilization by the Holder,
 and (ii) ARIN has no right to revoke any Included Number Resources under
this Agreement due to lack of
utilization by Holder."

   "(i) ARIN will take no action to  reduce the Services currently provided
for Included Number Resources due to lack of utilization by the Holder, or
utilization of resources outside the ARIN region,  and (ii) ARIN has no
right to revoke any Included Number Resources under this Agreement due to
lack of  utilization by Holder,  or utilization of number resources outside
the ARIN region."

--
-JH