[arin-ppml] Statistics request regarding new entrants (was: Re: Stats request)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Nov 28 09:53:32 EST 2013

On Nov 28, 2013, at 9:33 AM, <mcr at sandelman.ca> <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> If upstream tends to ignore, then what's the point of making the downstream
> return?    Seriously.
>
> It's in upstream's interest to ignore, as it makes it is easier for them to
> qualify for another block if they don't notice they have spare.
>
> So it seems to me that ARIN needs to do an audit on blocks returned to
> upstream should upstream ask for more space.

We are happy to administer whatever policy the community develops, but try to
avoid creating additional administrative steps in implementation beyond those
clearly called for in policy.  We do take steps to check reported utilization,
but presently do not systemically record the upstream block and likely date of
return to enable such auditing.  If this is considered important, then some
guidance (similar to NRPM 4.6.4 "Timeframe for return") would be quite helpful.

Thanks! (and Happy Holidays!)
/John

John Curran
President and CEO