[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 26 07:06:10 EDT 2013

On Jun 25, 2013, at 5:49 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:

> The point I was offering, which you're free to continue to regard as
> non-substantive, is that the interests of the Department of Defense,
> articulated through its ARPA/DARPA/ARPA/DARPA agency, as well as the
> interests of the National Science Foundation, and delegated as rule
> making capacity to ARIN, are unconstrained by the jurisdictional
> limitations on law enforcement agencies, federal or inferior. The
> domestic law enforcement claims of Agency X do not, of necessity,
> encompass the interests entrusted to ARIN.

Correct, but this is not a request being made to ARIN with respect to
any authority vested in ARIN by the USG.  In many ways, we should all
be thankful of that, since the USG use of the policy development process,
just as everyone else, is far less likely to create interference with
the desires of the community and/or ramifications for those not within
US jurisdiction.

FYI,
/John

John Curran