[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Jun 9 21:34:41 EDT 2013

> >> 1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on
> >> need (Conservation/Sustainability)?
> >
> > [Milton L Mueller] Chris, as you know, conservation needs to be
> detached from needs assessments. One can have efficient utilization and
> conservation without needs assessments, once a free pool is fully
> occupied and transfers of resources take place via the market.
>
> That is not something that I know Milton, it is something you assert.
> Thank you for taking the time to provide your opinion here, but let's
> remember that it is your opinion.

[Milton L Mueller] Chris, no. The distinction between conservation as a principle and needs assessments as a _method_ of achieving conservation is NOT something I "assert". It is a real conceptual distinction, and exists independently of one's opinion about needs assessment. Don't confuse our policy differences with differences about the accurate use of the English language.