[arin-ppml] ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles / Request for General Thoughts

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:16:34 EDT 2013

Hello all,

As the shepherd for ARIN-2013-4, I'd like to note that while the
initial conversation on this draft policy was fairly constructive,
more recent comments have gone a bit off topic. Rather than debating
the history of internet governance it would be very helpful for the AC
to understand the general sentiment of this community with regard to
the draft policy more directly.

With that in mind, I'd like to gather opinion and thoughts on several
key questions. These questions should be answered in terms of how you
believe ARIN should operate today and into the future in order to
uphold its goal of stewardship of the Internet number resources in its
care.

1) Do you support the principle of efficient utilization based on need
(Conservation/Sustainability)?

2) Do you support the principle of hierarchical aggregation (Routability)?

3) Do you support the principle of uniqueness (Registration)?

4) Do you support the goal of balancing these principles with each
other under the overarching principle of Stewardship?

Please feel free to provide your thoughts on each of these items as
general principles. Please state a definitive support or do not
support for each individual principle/goal and provide a brief
rational for that position. For now I'd like to ask that we evaluate
the principles generally - and not to argue with each others opinions
but simply to each state our own. Once we have a sense of the
community support, we can then dig into specific text for each item
based on the level of support and the rationale behind that level of
support.

This will be very helpful as we decide our next steps with this draft policy.

Thanks,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann