[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 20:14:41 EDT 2013

On 7/15/13, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
> Jimmy,

> This proposal is an attempt to collect these principles in one coherent
> place, and not loose the text when the original RFC2050 is deprecated.
> This is the only goal of this proposal.

May I remind you.. that  deprecation of an RFC for IETF purposes does
not make the text "no longer available"  ---  it is not as if
deprecated RFCs get deleted.    It does not necessarily  mean the
document is suddenly useless or invalid for other purposes, either.

> It is not intended to be policy, but rather is text that has guided policy
> development and it is hoped will be used to continue to guide policy
> development.

There is a process laid out in the PDP for NRPM changes that are not policy.

"Changes to policy that are purely editorial and non-substantial in
nature are outside the scope of the full Policy Development Process
and may only be made with 30 days public notice followed by the
concurrence of both the ARIN Advisory Council and ARIN Board of
Trustees that the changes are non-substantial in nature."

> It has been suggested by many that an RFC is not the right place to
> record these principles as they are not prescriptions that the IETF
> places on the RIRs.

That is true,  but the meaningful  policy implications have not been explained.

> So that left placing these principles in the NRPM.  A place that the
> community looks after and can easily change.

If the community can easily change them, then they are not really principles.

The principles are the things you have to agree on, before you even
start developing policy;  they essentially never change,   except in a
major turn of events that turn the RIRs into different kind of
organizations.

> No.  We have a suggestion that the community should carefully balance
> these principles an use that to guide them in forming actual policy.

Then we have an invalid  policy assertion proposed to be in the PPML;
 the PPML itself doesn't get to say how policy is developed,  or  what
the community does in making changes to policy --- that is
self-referential.

The PPML  is  number resource policy,  not  policy making policy.

--
-JH