[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 8 18:40:40 EDT 2013

I support this as written but have a couple of comments and suggestions.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4
> RIR Principles

Did you mean ARIN registry principles or is this intended to be
offered as a global policy?

> 0.1. Conservation
>
> The principle of conservation guarantees sustainability of the
> Internet through efficient utilization of unique number resources.

I would flip those around. I think the principle is: sustainable use
of number resources. Conservation is one tool which facilitates
sustainable use in some circumstances. Technical/documented/justified
need is another such tool. Retaining conservation as the core
principle, we'll end up dancing around the stewardship issue a lot
more often that we really ought to.

Gee, we don't have to conserve AS numbers because of stewardship! Huh?
No. We don't have to conserve AS numbers because at $550 a pop we
easily achieve sustainable use without any other attempt at conserving
them. At $550 each, we wouldn't need to conserve IPv4 addresses
either!

> 0.2. Routability
>
> The principle of routability guarantees that Internet number resources
> are managed in such a manner that they may be routed on the Internet
> in a scalable manner.

Nailed it. Very nice.

> Routing scalability is necessary to ensure proper operation of
> Internet routing, although it must be stressed that routability is in
> no way guaranteed with the allocation or assignment of Internet number
> resources.

Right concept. Could use better words. Maybe merge "Routing
scalability is necessary to ensure proper  operation of Internet
routing," with the previous paragraph and add the then say:

ARIN does not make policies about how routing must or must not be
done. Allocation or assignment of Internet number resources by ARIN in
no way guarantees that those addresses will be routed by any
particular Internet service provider.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004