[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4: RIR Principles - revised

ARIN info at arin.net
Mon Jul 8 17:34:46 EDT 2013

Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4
RIR Principles

Revised text for ARIN-2013-4 is below and can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2013_4.html

The AC will evaluate the discussion in order to assess the conformance
of this draft policy with ARIN's Principles of Internet Number Resource
Policy as stated in the PDP. Specifically, these principles are:

  * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
  * Technically Sound
  * Supported by the Community

The ARIN Policy Development Process (PDP) can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html

Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at:
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/index.html

Regards,

Communications and Member Services

## * ##

Draft Policy ARIN-2013-4
RIR Principles

Policy Statement (v2 8 July 2013):

Section 0: Principles and Goals of the Internet Registry System

0.1. Registration

The principle of registration guarantees the uniqueness of Internet
number resources.

Provision of this public registry documenting Internet number resource
allocation, reallocation, assignment, and reassignment is necessary:

a) to ensure uniqueness and to to provide operational staff with
information on who is using each number resource,
b) to provide a contact in case of operational/security problems,
c) to provide the transparency required to ensure that Internet number
resources are efficiently utilized, and
d) to assist in IP allocation studies.

0.1. Conservation

The principle of conservation guarantees sustainability of the
Internet through efficient utilization of unique number resources.

Due to the requirement for uniqueness, Internet number resources of
each type are drawn from a common number space. Conservation of these
common number spaces requires that Internet number resources be
efficiently distributed to those organizations who have a technical
need for them in support of operational networks.

0.2. Routability

The principle of routability guarantees that Internet number resources
are managed in such a manner that they may be routed on the Internet
in a scalable manner.

Routing scalability is necessary to ensure proper operation of
Internet routing, although it must be stressed that routability is in
no way guaranteed with the allocation or assignment of Internet number
resources.

0.4. Stewardship

The principle of stewardship guarantees the application of these
principles when managing Internet number resources.

It should be noted that the above goals may sometimes be in conflict
with each other and with the interests of individual end-users or
network operators. Care must be taken to ensure balance with these
conflicting goals given the resource availability, relative size of
the resource, and number resource specific technical dynamics, for
each type of number resource.

For example, Conservation often requires greater consideration in IPv4
address distribution due to the limited size of the address space,
Routability has a higher weight for the massive IPv6 address space,
and AS numbers place the highest value on Registration because they
come from a moderately sized pool and are not subject to aggregation.