[arin-ppml] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 16 22:09:17 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 5:00 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If he can't qualify for space from ARIN, how is he going to qualify to
>> receive space via transfer?  The requirements are the same (with the
>> exception of 3-month vs. 24-month need, which isn't the limiting factor
>> here).  And the minimum allocation size for ISPs is /22 per NRPM 4.2.2.2:
>> only end-users can get /24's from ARIN (or via transfer), under NRPM
>> 4.3.2.2.
>
> Hi John,
>
> Can you comment on this? Are ISPs able to receive /24 and /23 blocks
> via NRPM 8.3 transfers?

Bill -

  The ISP must demonstrate the need for IPv4 address resources under
  ARIN standard allocation policies (i.e. a single-homed ISP showing
  need for a /20 or multi-homed ISP showing need for a /22) in order
  to qualify to receive resources via transfer.  Once qualified, we
  can approve the transfer of IPv4 space; this can be to a maximum
  of their documented need based on their current utilization rate
  extended 24 months out, and down to a minimum of a single /24 (as
  /24 is the explicit minimum transfer size specified in NRPM 8.3)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO