[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 8 00:55:12 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 9:19 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> We can have a fee schedule as complex or as simple as needed,
> but our approach has been size categories based on total IP
> address holdings, so we need to be certain to have community
> support and confidence in any other schedule if it is a major
> departure from that approach.  Incrementing the schedule as we
> have done over the years is easier, but not the only possible
> type of change.
> Actually, we get fairly close to a single fee per database row
> with the Revised Fee schedule; this is exactly the case with
> the end-user fees, whereas ISP fees still remain based on total
> holdings but are quite algorithmic. If ISPs were subsequently
> changed to be total records, you'd then have the structure that
> you suggest.

As followup, I was reminded that the fee approach is not "either/or";
i.e. it is also possible to have a single flat fee per organization
plus a fee per IP block if this is viewed as more equitable, and
would be similar to the type of change that RIPE just went through -
<http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-566>

There is nothing to prevent ARIN from taking a similar approach
(I do not know if such a structure would be seen as beneficial or
not by the community) but it is very important to be certain before
restructuring of the fees since any switchover of that type requires
significant business process and system changes.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO