[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 15:40:38 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Steven Noble <snoble at sonn.com> wrote:
> I would love to have PI IPv6 space and as I have no IPv4 space from ARIN, adding IPv6 will raise my fees. What is the proposal to get legacy holders to adopt IPv6?

The community has been fairly clear that Legacy holders are going to
have to come into the tent (of ARIN or equivalent RIR) to register
additional numbers of any type (ASN, IPv4, or IPv6).  That includes
the new fees and agreements.

Interestingly, most of the legacy holders were, at the time, the
early adopters (of the Internet).  One would likely have expected
that most would have wanted to be early adopters of IPv6, and
recognized that as the Internet grew up, fees and regulations
would also change, and they would have to change with those
new realities.  The "free lunch" of legacy holders has long been
digested, and it is going to cost for the next meal (IPv6).

So, the reason for legacy holders to adopt IPv6 is not because
it will (again) be free (or nearly so), but because that is where
one should be.

Gary