[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Steven Noble snoble at sonn.com
Sun Apr 7 13:24:05 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 10:16 AM, joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

>> I would love to have PI IPv6 space and as I have no IPv4 space from ARIN, adding IPv6 will raise my fees. What is the proposal to get legacy holders to adopt IPv6?
> The notion that legacy holders should be treated iconsistenly with others with regard to new assignments doesn't seem very consistent with needs based allocation. If you don't need it, don't request the resources.

That is exactly my point, if ARIN says that someone requesting IPv6 will not have higher fees, then how does that work with a legacy holder?  Do we want people to adopt IPv6 or not?  A policy that makes it the same cost to request and hold IPv4 and IPv6 works both ways.  If I am charged the same as someone who has both IPv4 and IPv6 resources, why would I not request IPv4 resources too?