[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 14:37:51 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> The obvious solutions within the fee structure are:
>
> 1. The non-profit discount
>
> 2. No-fee IPv6 for IPv4 holders until IPv6 becomes dominant
>

> #2 solves the short-term problem of folks who won't spend money on a
> protocol that won't yet make them money while #1 addresses the
> community network need.

NRPM section 6.5.9 already (to some extent) addresses the
community network need, which allows community networks
to request a /48 (/44 with justification).

I have previous pointed to the boards decision to not provide
a non-profit discount schedule, and while I can understand
their reasoning, I also think in reality to get 501(c) qualified
it can easily take $1000/yr (opportunity costs, if not out
of pocket), so it is not really a solution for many to achieve
a substantive savings in ARIN fees.  [And 501(c) (or country
equivalent) should be the requirement, not yet another
definition by ARIN of what a non-profit might be.]

Gary