[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Apr 4 17:28:53 EDT 2013

On 4/4/2013 1:52 PM, David Farmer wrote:
> On 4/4/13 14:46 , Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> Totally oppose the below. There's no reason why we should ever be giving
>> an ISP something smaller than a /32. Fix the silly fee schedule.
>
> Current policy already allows /36s to be handed out, this adds /40s to
> that, and allow you to change it to /32 as you see fit.

Well, that's a bug too. But certainly I don't think we should be handing
out /40s to ISPs. Probably not /36s either. How about /32s only, and up
to /16 with justification?

>> If charging $1000 instead of $500 is a disincentive (I certainly think
>> it is) make the /32 be $500.
>
> I assume you didn't support the original version of the draft with
> /48s either, and your not opposed to the changes to the draft, but the
> policy intent overall.  Or, is there something about the changes from
> the original draft that you oppose.

Policy proposal as it stands exists only because of a bug in the fee
schedule. No ISP in their right mind would request a /40 instead of a
/36 (say) just because they can, given that initial allocation
justification is identical. Except for the fee schedule of course.

>> Matthew Kaufman
>>
>> ps. Example as to why I think it is a disincentive: I run a microwave
>> network linking multiple mountaintops serving the tiny needs of several
>> different non-profit organizations, all paid for out of my own pocket.
>> All of it is numbered out of legacy space I hold. Guess how much my wife
>> thinks I should spend per year on an IPv6 allocation from ARIN so that I
>> can add IPv6 to this network? I'll give you a hint: $500/year is too
>> much.
>
> The last paragraph of the comments basically says that it would be
> better to have a different solution for the fee schedule, but that is
> out of scope of the PDP.

I know it is. But this whole proposal is about working around the fee
schedule instead of fixing the root problem (that some ISPs think the
price for a /32 is too high and so incorrectly wish to get something
smaller)

> I'd be interested in talking with you about finding a way to meet such
> needs.

You know where to find me :)

Matthew Kaufman