[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 15:58:02 EDT 2012

On 9/22/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Jeffrey -
>   It is possible that ARIN could reclaim an address block which is
>   apparently unused by the registered address holder, but to do so

Doesn't the RSA say ARIN will not revoke solely for lack of use....?
I don't see that it matters if the contact is responsive or not in that case.

Now I could see "non-use AND fraudulent application", as a reason to
revoke, that would be provided by current policy --  if an applicant
for new address space misrepresented themself as identity of the
End-user organization that operates the network that address space is
being applied for  (with the intent that they could "take away
addresses"; if the person responsible for applying were fired as a
contracter or consultant for the principal that owns the network).

In other words, they want to act as an LIR, but submitted an End-user
assignment request,
using false organization name.

ARIN /could/  revoke in that case,  but are you sure you would want that?
There's no policy that allows revoked resources to be forcibly
assigned to the new user of those resources.

Nor is there a way for the user to /apply/  for resources they are
using, but are not assigned to anyone due to revokation from the
previous registrant who wasn't
actually using them.  Perhaps there should be  a procedure to request a specific
IP block in an application, from ARIN....

With a stipulation, that exact block and size was previously an allocated block,
or ARIN provides a "list"  of blocks available for such requests,
based  on the prefix sizes that are allocated from certain blocks.

E.g. Certain IP ranges would only be available for request from  /20
applicants,
certain IP ranges would only be available for requests from /22
applicants, etc,
as  needed to ensure that requests don't result in an introduction of
inefficiency.

--
-JH