[arin-ppml] Policy proposal: Penalize IPv4 bad actors

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Fri Sep 7 10:59:31 EDT 2012

William Herrin wrote:

> Network infrastructure operators who as a condition of access under
> government regulations require third party ISPs to manage IP addresses
> in a manner inconsistent with ARIN policy are themselves ineligible to
> hold ARIN number resources.
>
> If no reasonable technology (deployed or otherwise) could both meet
> the government regulations and permit compliance with ARIN IP address
> policy, this policy shall not apply.
>
>      Rationale:

If you expect ARIN policy to be malleable to support your technological
choices, then it is only fair if the community expects the reverse.

As others have pointed out this stick is to big to take seriously, but
other wording that made the underlying carrier responsible for the
(under)utilization of the third parties while interacting with ARIN may
actually work.

Team the two concepts/proposals together and I could support both.

Joe