[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Sep 6 08:59:42 EDT 2012

Like Mike, I find it extraordinary that MSFT would devote 98% of its purchased numbers to these non publicly-routed uses. Maybe 10%, maybe even 20%, but virtually all of them? Strains plausibility. Incidentally, speaking of hosting companies, we found that Amazon immediately put into public routing all the address space they acquired from Merck, and so did all the other hosting companies, in both ARIN and APNIC regions, that we studied. So the MSFT case stands out. I understand why John has to say what he says, of course.

Another interesting question: if they were really internal, non public uses, could they not be put on IPv6?