[arin-ppml] FW: POC privacy

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Oct 26 16:26:46 EDT 2012

No.  Read again, even just holding the addresses obligates you to be reachable.

> >   If they don't want to participate in the shared public
> resource then they don't need shared public resources in the first
> place.
>
> Disagree. We've had this argument repeatedly. Guaranteed uniqueness of
> addresses for private interconnection is a perfectly valid reason to
> consume addresses from the shared public pool.
By merely holding addresses that could be used by the community you are consuming community resources and thereby interacting with the community.  At this point you need to be reachable.  Holding community resources makes you part of the community and you then have responsibilities to the community.

> >    The simple act of reserving a globally unique address consumes a
> > shared resource and obligates the consumer to be reachable, even if
> > the globally unique address is never routed globally. JMO </kjk>
>
> That makes no sense at all. Why would you ever need to reach them
> *except* to spam them?

Umm, maybe I notice that some evildoer in Barringtonia has hijacked your IP block and is using it to distribute kiddie porn which will give your child advocate company a bad name and you haven't noticed yet so I want to be a nice guy and make you aware of the situation.

Maybe I fell in love with your numbers and want to offer you an obscene amount of money for them..

Maybe your firewall failed and your private only routing is misconfigured and is DoS'ing my network.

Requiring publicly available responsive contacts adds accountability and reduces (even if only minimally) the risk that the resource will be used for evil.

There are countless other possibilities.