[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 14 11:16:27 EDT 2012

On 5/14/12, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right. Let me make my proposals more clear:
>
> 1) Make it as easy as possible for an org who actually wants IPv6 to
> get it. This is mostly in place today (allocation fee waivers, one
> maint. fee per Org ID, ease of qualification, etc.) but there is still
> some possible room for improvement:
>    1A) Waive IPv6 assignment fees for end-users who request both IPv4
> and IPv6 simultaneously.

This would be better than nothing however unless I'm badly mistaken,
fewer than 10% of ARIN end-user assignees will request additional IPv4
addresses this year.

>    1B) Move the </40 small/x-small threshold to <=/48.

Not following your logic here. How does nearly doubling the price of a
/47 encourage IPv6 deployment? Or did you mean move the boundary from
/40 to /39 so that /40's fall under x-small?

> (both of these ideas likely need to move to ARIN discuss if they are
> of interest and probably should go into the ASCP process if there is
> support for either/both at this time)

It makes exactly no sense to discuss ideas for end-user assignments on
a CLOSED discussion list to which very few end user assignees have
access. Not if you want public access and public participation anyway.

> 2) Provide additional motivation for orgs to request and deploy IPv6.
> There are several top of mind methods to accomplish this:
>    2A) Require the officer attestation to acknowledge the current
> state of affairs regarding IPv4 exhaustion and IPv6 requirements.

Eyeroll.

>    2B) Continue or even ramp up (especially targeting end users) ARINs
> outreach efforts (which have been substantial in previous years but
> are being wound down post IANA-exhaustion).

Stale.

>    2C) Implement policy that requires IPv6 deployment.

As pointed out in previous discussions, requiring deployment of one
protocol or another would vastly expand ARIN's regulatory duties and
may have legal pitfalls.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004