[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat May 5 14:21:16 EDT 2012

On 5/5/12, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Due respect Jimmy, read up on DNS pinning. The whole point is to hold
>> the first IP address beyond the the TTL. It's the solution to a
>> particularly nasty javascript vulnerability.
>
> DNS pinning comes into play,  only for  low-TTL  records. Keep the TTL
> for your DNS records  86400 or higher, and there is no pinning.

Hi Jimmy,

That hasn't been my experience but your mileage may vary.

> Again,  browser windows don't get left open for 2 months,

Sometimes mine do. Who are you to say otherwise?

> Heck...  Desktop OSes are not that stable,  and it is critical that
> they be updated frequently;   uptimes above  30 days are rare,  6
> month uptimes are almost unheard of,

For the record, one of my desktops has been up for 262 days. One of my
*windows* desktops has been running for 35 days. Maybe I'm just better
at keeping my equipment online. ;-)

> And the policy provides 12 months.

And all of this is *why* we picked 12 months instead of 3 or 6 back
when the policy was written. So that there would be *plenty* of time
for a successful renumbering, despite the very significant
difficulties and pain.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004