[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 1 12:52:46 EDT 2012

On 5/1/12, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2012, at 7:38 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> it'll have to renumber. Which means I personally will have to deal
>> with the pain.
>
> Now I'm going to go back to the devil's advocate side again, and also point
> out that the pain of renumbering is not the horror, the horror, the horror
> that everyone makes it out to be. Painful, and sometimes slow when there are
> lots of external dependancies, but it's really not as bad as people make it
> out to be ;-)

Hi Jo,

I have to disagree with you there. Renumbering is every bit as bad as
people say and then some.

First there's DNS pinning. Because of DNS pinning, web browsers won't
follow your new IP address when the DNS TTL runs out. In some cases,
not until the browser is completely stopped and restarted, such as
with a reboot. If you keep the old IP address alive, you'll notice the
occasional request from a perfectly ordinary web browser come in
months after you changed the IP.

Then there's the email spam control systems. They're heavily based on
IP addresses. Start emitting a lot of email from an address that
didn't previously do so? Spammer. Blocked. And tracking down all the
various whitelist and feedback loops (all of them IP based) that you
talked your way in to over the years is a major chore.

And that's before you deal with all the myriad custom applications
where the developer was  too inexperienced or too lazy to implement
DNS in the first place.

It may not be possible to overstate just how bad renumbering is.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004