[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:33:52 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 17:21, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:

> From a marketing standpoint, there seems to be an understanding that
> lower numbered AS means better established carrier. Those looking to
> offer network services may wish to acquire older networks and merge
> into the lower numbered AS. We are AS32421, and a customer of ours was
> just issued a 4 digit ASN. I'd be willing to trade for aesthetic
> reasons ;)

Thanks Jeffery, this is one I've seen stated before. The other one
I've read is "peering relationships" - the idea being that you could
assume peering relationships by assuming the AS of a previously
established network.

So we have:
1) Aesthetics
2) Deception

I have to say I remain unconvinced that this policy does anything to
better our community in any real way. In fact, the "deceiving folks by
assuming another identity" use-case is probably a net-evil.

> This is the only reason I can think of.

If anyone else can think of something more necessary, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann