[arin-ppml] Legacy InterNIC Documents

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:07:36 EDT 2012

On 6/29/12, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
> This is why I say that I own this block (even if it is small).  There were
> no restrictions placed on it when I received it.  I paid taxes to the
> federal government in 1994 and thus my taxes went to pay for the block and
> therefore I believe I paid for it.  I know others will disagree but since no

Your house probably has a street address number assigned to it too.
Just because you do,  does not mean you have a right to  take it with
you, whenever you move, or that a new law has to be passed, if the
right entity chooses to alter it.

Paying taxes wasn't a condition of receiving the number resources.
You could pay taxes and still be refused an IP block.
You could fail to pay taxes, and still receive the block.
You could exist in a different country with no taxes to the USG, and
still receive the block.

In other words:  no connection whatsoever between your payment of taxes
and the assignment of IP addresses to your network.

>From this, you can conclude the block definitely was not received in
exchange for tax dollars.

Legacy holders with documents like that own the network that resources
were assigned to,  but there is no document there conveying an
ownership of any resource,  or a guarantee of unconditional future
equivalent service indefinitely in perpetuity from any future IP
address registry, with guarantee of no additional fees or
stipulations.

You were an owner of a network that the resources were assigned to.
As long as you continue  to operate the network,  follow any rules
of the registry that currently apply, and require all the resources
, the resource assignment by the registry ought to remain valid.

That should apply whether you got your resources in 1996 or 2012.
Resources that are being utilized should not be revoked, nor should new
rules be applied to existing assignments or allocations,  except at times
when those assignments or allocations are being changed or updated.

That is, the most appropriate thing for the registry to do should
maintain the existing assignment. If your needs change, or your
contacts change, the registry
should change the assignment;  for example, update the contact.

But that doesn't mean there's an ownership or right to transfer the resources.
All privileges except continuing to run the network in place, with the contacts
in place, belong to the registry.

If any of that becomes invalid,  for example the assignment is no longer being
used for the assigned network and was fraudulently transferred or is otherwise
being used by an organization or network not recorded by the registry,
 the possibility exists the registry could invalidate the assignment.

Now, provisions in current addressing policy may provide you options
to transfer some (or all) resources to another organization or to another
network, contact, or org, within the registry, and today they do, provided
the proper agreements are in place.

If the proper agreements are not in place, then the future of the assignment
should be regarded as having a degree of uncertainty.

--
-JH