[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jun 29 16:11:22 EDT 2012

On Jun 29, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> No, I suspect a small number of them go to the black market and most of them realize that paying extra for addresses when the free pool is still available doesn't make sense, so they go to ARIN.
>
> Unless you have some hard evidence to the contrary, it is, indeed fear mongering to suggest people will disregard the registry. Do you have any evidence they don't simply go apply directly to ARIN?

We are now having an increasing number of the larger ISPs
coming to ARIN with allocation requests, as can be seen
in the statistics regarding ISP allocations at:<https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/index.html>

It is possible that this is the result of improved understanding
of the situation subsequent to transfer discussions.   It is
equally possibly just the result of IPv6 awareness activities,
etc.

FYI,
/John

John Curran