[arin-ppml] Revisiting Section 4.4 Micro allocations for C/I

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 08:43:22 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Opposed.
>
> Assumes facts not in evidence, namely that new gTLDs were a
> consideration in this set-aside and/or that they were the primary
> consideration.

Yes, I believe they were. I seem to recall the author mentioning this.
There also aren't going to be 256 new IX's in North America in three
years, if ever.  The /16 was intended to cover a variety of CI needs
as defined in 4.4. gTLD's fit into that definition which is explicit
there and here.

> Assumes that each gTLD requires a separate /23 to run nameservers.
> (many of them will likely be consolidated on the same servers,
> ala gtld-servers.net containing com+net).

/23 is a worst case. We could go with a single /24. Some are likely to
be consolidated. Running that number, a /15 might cover most of what
will be needed.

[ snip ]

Best,

-M<