[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:19:50 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com
> wrote:

<snip>

>  I would like to be treated the same as Microsoft and sign the same
> agreement they got to sign from ARIN (I've never read it) and not have to
> prove I need the addresses like they didn't have to.  This means I think
> everyone should be treated equally by ARIN in every transfer.  Of course if
> Microsoft has to prove they need them then of course I'd be happy to prove
> I need them too - but I don't think Microsoft did have to prove their need
> and ARIN ended up being a party to the transaction.

ARIN has publicly stated that Microsoft had to follow the policy that
requires needs justification, just as any other transfer recipient would
have to do.  AFAIK (and I'm only aware of what's been publicly posted here
to PPML and at public policy meetings) the only thing non-standard about
the Nortel-Microsoft transfer was that Microsoft signed the LRSA instead of
the RSA.  And since the only real remaining difference between the two is
the fee schedule, that is definitely not a policy matter.

-Scott