[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 21 13:27:04 EDT 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 1:09 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>  I think we've covered this before, i.e. you probably want to
>>  seek actual legal expertise rather than seeking my views
>>  on your interpretations, yes?

> So for now we're merely having a public debate on proposal 174.

Most excellent.

> If you'll recall from the PDP, "The ARIN Board of Trustees adopts
> draft policies [...] if the draft policies are consistent with [...]
> the applicable laws and regulations." What with these being "common
> law" countries, judicial precedent *is* law. So no, if you think
> there's a better understanding of the plain language of the judge's
> order, I would like to hear it from you. The same goes for Owen or
> David or anyone else that has participated in this debate. Some views
> may be better informed than others but they're all worth hearing.

Indeed.  Note that ARIN's legal views on compliance with law will
be in the staff and legal review for policy, as usual.

> IMO, prop 174 asks ARIN to wake a sleeping giant. I don't think that's
> a winning proposition. As others in this forum consider their consent
> or objection to the proposal, I'd like them to know what leads me to
> the belief that it's a really poor idea.

As I already noted, ARIN already applies number resource policies
"to all resources in the ARIN registry, including those resources
issued from a predecessor registry in the Internet Registry system."
The definition of Regional Internet Registry in NRPM 2.2 implies
as much through the management of the address space in the region
(although I concur that prop-174 adds clarity): "The primary role
of RIRs is to manage and distribute public Internet address space
within their respective regions."  If indeed policy proposal 174
is not appropriate, it might be good to go back and revisit the
Regional Internet Registry definition as well.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO