[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 20 19:45:05 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2012, at 5:25 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> My understanding is that while noting that Microsoft and ARIN had
>> entered a contract, the final order reaffirmed that Nortel had the
>> exclusive right to sell its addresses. Without any language suggesting
>> subordination to ARIN. If you have a copy handy, we can go to the text
>> and check.
>
>  ARIN consented to the transfer since Microsoft qualified per
>  policy, and did not seek anything other than acknowledgement
>  of the existence of the LRSA which has the resources subject
>  to community policy.

Hi John,

Didn't seek and didn't receive. I'm told the judge let stand his
ruling from the preliminary order that Nortel could sell to anyone
they wanted to. Added that the court had no objection to a buyer who
chose to enter a contract with ARIN.

I think we probably agree about what most of the relevant case law is
even if we disagree about what it means. Things like Nortel/Microsoft
and Kremen. I don't suppose ARIN would be so kind as to post the
documents from the relevant case law in a web archive somewhere so
that anyone here can read it for themselves and draw their own
conclusions?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004