[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Jun 20 18:48:47 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 2:48 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> Your postal address is assigned through an odd combination of
> developers' whimsy and municipal government function. The developer
> generally picks the street name, the municipality picks the house
> number. The address assignment is usually free, never has a recurring
> cost and is effectively irrevocable once assigned. It conveys to the
> next owner without further oversight by the directory authority.

Great analogy! Because you chose it exactly right, but your conclusion is wrong.

Re-addressing does happen, usually under the guidance of a locally elected council of peers. It doesn't happen often, but it *does* happen and the courts have repeatedly reaffirmed that you do not own your address.

> The post office adds a zip code to the address but is required by
> congress to make best efforts at delivering letters without a zip code
> or with the wrong zip code.

Wrong again. The post office has automatically and electronically rejected addresses which don't exist in the zip code for 10+ years in many areas. I personally fought a court case on that issue (because their computers were wrong and were rejecting valid mail) and lost the case because they have no such mandate.

--
Jo Rhett