[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Astrodog astrodog at gmx.com
Wed Jun 20 17:20:12 EDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 04:07 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Chris Grundemann
> <cgrundemann at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> You seem to keep repeating this mantra and while I am not a lawyer, I
>> am curious; how does the lack of a contract give one party infinite
>> rights and another no rights?
> Hi Chris,
>
> There is no contract between myself and the Sleepy Hollow Citizens
> Association with respect to the use of my house. They publish my name,
> address and phone number in a directory and coordinate worthy
> activities like the neighborhood watch. When I remember, I pay the
> dues. Yet I have all the rights to my house. They have none. You
> follow?
>
> Now, some folks I know bought houses with a homeowner's association.
> There's a covenant (i.e. contract) attached to their deed. They signed
> a fresh copy when they bought the house as a condition of buying the
> house. Even though the house belongs to them, the contract gives the
> HOA specific rights with respect to the dues, exterior look of the
> house, etc. The HOA can even place a lien on the house and foreclose.
> Still following?
>
> The Nortel judge ruled that Nortel had exclusive rights to its legacy
> addresses. Subordinate to no one. If true (i.e. if future rulings
> follow the Nortel pattern), then ARIN doesn't have rights with respect
> to the legacy addresses. It can publish a directory. But it has no
> rights.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

To make your analogy more... analogous to the situation with ARIN...

Lets say the post office won't send mail to your house unless it is
listed in the directory...
and lets say no one else can find your house unless it is listed in the
directory...
and lets say even you can't find your house from any other house using
public streets unless it is listed in the directory...
and lets say the directory can list some other house at your address,
which will receive all of the services outline above.

Such that the only route to your house involves a tunnel you have to dig
between your house, and whatever other house you'd like to visit. (Which
you can also do using special private houses that there can be a, for
our purposes, infinite number of, but each group of them must be unique.
Bear with me.)

In that case, while you might own the house itself, the real value comes
from being listed in the directory. Without that, the house is
significantly less useful, and offers few advantages over using the
special private houses.

--- Harrison