[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 20 11:28:29 EDT 2012

On Jun 20, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [Milton L Mueller] There you go, begging the question again. This is just another unilateral, verbal assertion of authority over an issue that is legally and politically contested.

Milton -

  I'm afraid you have it backwards.  ARIN is part of the
  the Internet registry system which coordinates a unique
  set of IP address registrations to facilitate Internet
  growth and operations.  We run the registry according
  to the policies set by the community and were formed
  for that purpose.

  I am  unaware of any authority that any legacy holder
  has over our operation of the registry, although a set
  of specific rights is available per the LRSA.

> If ARIN has no contractual authority over the legacy holder, then on what basis can it claim that the legacy holder must get its approval before it transfers them to another party?

  What is "them" in the above sentence? (before it transfers "them")

  If they want to transfer the registration of unique addresses
  in the ARIN registry, then they'll definitely need to put in a
  request and comply with the community policies.  ARIN's does
  have authority over its registry, we run it per the policies
  set by the community, and you have yet to show that a legacy
  holder has any authority or rights to the contrary.

  If it's not the registration of unique addresses in the ARIN
  registry being transferred, then it's not a matter for ARIN.
  I have no idea what they perceive to be selling, but that
  properly is a matter for consideration by the buyer, not ARIN.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO