[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:39:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:11 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> New registrations John. *New* registrations.
>>
>>  Despite your assertion, that is not the case.
>
> See Randy Bush's 1997 presentation to FNCAC (Federal Networking
> Council Advisory Committee) seeking approval for ARIN. Pay close
> attention to the last bullet on slide 9.
>
> http://archive.psg.com/970414.fncac.pdf

I see:

"Current and old allocations and their DNS
will be maintained with no policy changes"

I also see:

"
• Address assignment must follow network topology,
so 1000 registries can not bloom
• IP registries deal with ISPs and most ISPs now
have clauses in their contracts about address nonportability
• Try to sell address space, and NATs and other
walls will appear, and only fill the coffers of the
router makers, not the feds

Stewardship not Business
• Registries perform address allocation not sale
• Addresses are a finite resource
• Under ARIN, allocations will have to be
justified technically, just as they are today
• Actual engineering plans are used to evaluate
justifications
• But it has to be run like a business or it will
fail the public trust  "

But there have already been policy changes that violate the principles
outlined in these slides.

Some on PPML would like to see a 1000 registries bloom, some would
like for technical justification to be removed, etc.

 AS JC just wrote:  "You can't have self-governance without providing
a mechanism
 that allows for development of policies by the community"  even if it
is policy we don't particularly like.

--
Cheers,

McTim