[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 19 22:41:37 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Lindsey, Marc <mlindsey at lb3law.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure there are valid contracts (verbal and otherwise) for which
> there is no document. When I got my IANAL certificate, I thought I knew
> that a valid contract required only an exchange of consideration and
> assent by both parties.

Hi Marc,

IANAL, but IIRC from the contract law class I took back in college, it
requires an exchange of consideration and a "meeting of the minds." If
you can show that both parties understood themselves to be agreeing to
the same thing, you have a contract, even on a handshake. On the other
hand, if you can show that the parties reasonably had a significantly
different understanding of what they were agreeing to at the time they
agreed to it, or that they weren't indicating agreement on anything at
all then no contract formed.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM, John Springer <springer at inlandnet.com> wrote:
> There is a vast difference
> between the contract may not be enforceable and there never was a contract.
> We have a number of folks here loudly and repeatedly asserting the latter. I
> have no particular dispute with the former and respectfully disagree with
> the latter.

Hi John,

Can you identify the exchange of consideration involved during a
legacy registration? Can you identify the terms on which the minds
met? I'll be happy to share the documentation from my registration
back in the early '90s if you need an example to review.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004