[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 19 22:18:30 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:08 PM, Lee Dilkie <lee at dilkie.com> wrote:
>> Can I ask you a question.... If the ARIN community decided
>> that comcast should no longer own any IP numbers, and
>> voted for that... Can ARIN go ahead and reclaim all of
>> comcast's netblocks? ARIN does have that authority, does it not?
>
> That actually would not be a valid policy, as fails the
> requirements for fair and impartial management as
> specified in the Policy Development Process.

Hi John,

The PDP? Really? That's their protection?

The same board of seven trustees that adopts and rejects policy by a
simple majority vote also sets the PDP by a simple majority vote. If
policy to reclaim a multi-billion dollar company's IPs could make it
past them, so could changes to the PDP.

<sarcasm>

No doubt Comast is relieved that their fate only depends on retaining
the good will of 5 of the board's 7 enlightened members with no other
legal recourse should things go bad. 5 instead of 4 because I assume a
quorum is 5 of 7 so a majority of 3 of 5 with dirty-trick timing can
do pretty much what they want.

Nevertheless we can rest easy because nothing like the behavior during
the recent University of Virginia Board of Visitors scandal could
possibly arise at ARIN. We have extensive checks and balances built
into the bylaws to obstruct such malfeasance. Extensive checks and
balances. Extensive. And ARIN members (not the rest of us) will surely
only ever pick good, enlightened people anyway. They're not fools to
ever pick a Richard Nixon or two.

Now and forever. Right?

</sarcasm>

Regards,