[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 19 17:18:56 EDT 2012

On 6/19/12, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 6/19/12 15:00 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
>> On 6/19/12, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>>> ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry
>>>
>>> Add as a new paragraph at the beginning of Section 1;
>>>
>>> ARIN is the Internet number registry for its service region and ARIN
>>> number resource policies apply to all resources in the ARIN registry,
>>> including those resources issued from a predecessor registry in the
>>> Internet Registry system.
>>
>> I'll join the lawsuit if this policy is adopted. Oppose.
>
> Is the concept completely an non-starter and unreasonable?

Yes.

>  Are there
> policies missing that you think are necessary before this is reasonable?

No. In my opinion, ARIN lacks legal standing to make involuntary
changes to an in-use legacy registration. Period. It's not even about
whether it would be reasonable for ARIN to have such standing. Policy
be damned, they do not have it.

>   Are there policies that you think shouldn't apply to Legacy Resources?
>   Do you believe there are any policy that should apply to Legacy
> Resources?

I have been satisfied with ARIN's practice of only recording transfers
of addresses if the new registration falls under then-current ARIN
policy and contracts.

Given the way the court has ruled in the past half decade, I'm not
convinced ARIN actually has the right to refuse to record a change. To
my knowledge no judge has ever reached a declaration that they do
while several have reached declarations that more or less state that
they do not. Nevertheless, it would not upset me to discover that ARIN
does have that right.

At any rate, any proponents of this policy should understand that
they're picking a fight. The policy directs ARIN to engage in a
lawsuit which definitively settles the question in court. And frankly
it pushes ARIN to engage at the registrants' convenience rather than
letting ARIN wait to pick a favorable case.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004