[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Jun 19 12:57:54 EDT 2012

[kjk] I have to agree with Owen, this is the first and closest suggestion
for legacy resource management that I could support.

It does ping on one of my policy pet peeves though.  "May" operations in the
absence of an under-riding "May Not" are really a no-op.  If there is
nothing in policy preventing ARIN from doing something then there is no need
to write specific policy allowing ARIN to do it.
"May" is functional only if it modifies a stricter control, such as a "Will"
or "Will not" or "Must" or even "May not".
I understand the desire to do future-proofing, but it makes for more tangled
policy.
This *may* be due to too much Boolean thinking on my part.  lol

I like your idea, and I also like the idea suggested by Mr. Buhrmaster of
requiring agreement escalation on transfers, i.e. no-contract resource
transfer would require LRSA at minimum, and LRSA transfer would require RSA.
This makes sense to me.

I look forward to seeing these as policy proposals.

Kevin