[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 19 09:34:46 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> So here's the game of chicken I was warning you about.
>
> John, you are making the startling claim that ARIN (let's not hide behind fancy terms like "community of global service providers") will de-register and reassign legacy address blocks if a legacy holder doesn't play ball with it. But you have no contractual authority over those resources, a fact which exposes your organization to lawsuits if it acts in such a manner.

Milton - ARIN will run the registry in accordance with its policies,
and we have authority to operate the registry in that manner.  The
registry entries are definitely updated by the policies that this
community sets, and are the resources to which I refer.

> What important value is achieved through this precipitous stance that could not be more easily achieved simply by recognizing legacy holders' grandfathered rights and dealing with that exceptional status for the transition period in the migration to v6?

Actually, ARIN does exactly that, and offers to formalize those rights
via the LRSA with a reduced fee schedule.

> I suggest you step back from this precipice, take a deep breath, reclaim your wits, and think about how to handle this problem again. It is not really that difficult a problem if you don't turn it into a pointless power struggle.

Milton - It's simple reality, not a power struggle.

We actually don't get any choice in running the registry except
according to the policies that are developed by those in the region.
It's the very reason that we were formed, so we don't get any choice.
Resource holders should participate in the process to develop policies
that they find productive in their use of number resources.

As noted before, if parties think that they have some rights to the
registry which did not come with responsibilities of compliance to
policies of the registry, then indeed they may need to pursue those
elsewhere, since that doesn't match the reality of how the Internet
Registry system and ARIN were both formed.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO