[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 00:13:31 EDT 2012

On 6/18/12, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They might choose not to, but the policy ought to say that they should.
> It can't. The legalities around legacy holders are not resolved as you
> saw demonstrated by some of the discussion here. I'm not entirely

The ARIN community certainly can put policy like that in place, and it
may be prudent to do so sooner than later, in order to provide
declarative assertion to ensure any legacy holders are made aware that
their resources are subject to numbering policies, always were.

If a legacy holder wants to claim ARIN policies do not apply to their
resource,  they can do so all they want,  they can just ignore any
requirements added,  as they have determined it does not apply to
them.  By ignoring it, they take on a risk,  that the policy might be
enforceable against them at a future date, future revision, etc..

As far as reporting a resource unvalidated: ARIN controls what is
published in ARIN's database.

We can't rule out the remote possibility that a legacy registrant is
able to convince some court in some country,  that  they have a right
to compel ARIN to publish something specific in the database or forbid
ARIN from publishing something specific,   but that would be
something for ARIN's lawyers to sort out.

--
-JH