[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jun 18 22:04:12 EDT 2012

Jimmy,

Section 4 applies to IPv4 resources, this issue is more fundamental.  I
have submitted the following policy proposal.

------
Policy statement:

Add as a new paragraph at the beginning of Section 1;

ARIN is the Internet number registry for its service region and ARIN
number resource policies apply to all resources in the ARIN registry,
including those resources issued from a predecessor registry in the
Internet Registry system.

Rationale:

There is a perception by some that ARIN policy may not apply to legacy
resources. This proposal clarifies that ARIN policies apply to all
resources in the ARIN registry regardless if they are legacy-issued
resources.  ARIN was formed to give the users of IP numbers within North
American a voice in the policies by which they are managed and allocated
in the region.
------

On 6/18/12 20:08 CDT, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 6/18/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN is the Internet number registry for the region and ARIN
>> policies apply to all number resources in the ARIN registry.
>
> I would suggest something like, er:
>
> 4.6.7    All ARIN listed resources are subject to Number resource policies
>      Number policies apply equally to all resources in the ARIN
> registry, including legacy
>      allocations made by previous registries which are placed under
> administration of ARIN.
>
>      ARIN requires a signed RSA for all resources listed in the ARIN
> number registry,
>      and also as a requirement for the privilege of transferring,
> reassigning, or reallocating any number resource..
>
>      ARIN will list legacy allocations and resources not compliant with
> the signed RSA requirement in the ARIN WHOIS directory,
>      only on a best-effort basis, and may label such entries as
> Non-Compliant  or Non-Validated Resource.
>
>      ARIN will accept contact information update requests for
> non-compliant resources that ARIN is able to verify,
>      and maintain WHOIS listings for non-compliant resources until such
> time as the registration is
>      removed, revoked, or brought into compliance, or ARIN is shown
> proof that listed WHOIS information
>      is inaccurate,  invalid, not a responsive contact, not the right
> contact,  or a new attempt
>      by the non-compliant resource holder to transfer, repurpose, or
> delegate any portion of the resource has been attempted, without
> contacting ARIN to request approval.
>

>      ARIN may remove assignments of non-compliant number resources upon
> finding evidence that the resource is abandoned or unused
>      for a period of 3 months or longer, if there is no signed RSA, and
> after reasonable efforts
>      to contact a resource holder have been attempted and failed,  or
> if contact is made, and a
>      resource holder fails to sign the RSA within 30 days.

This seems to be requiring all legacy holders to sign an RSA, I'm
concerned about that level of a change.  And that there is an
implication that this should happen within 3 month.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952