[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jun 18 16:50:01 EDT 2012

On 6/18/12 15:44 CDT, John Curran wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 4:15 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> ARIN policy being mostly silent on the issue of legacy resources avoids creating a distinction between types resources, which as you suggest has its advantages.  However, this silence also fosters the misconception that ARIN policies do not apply to legacy resources.  I know it is a catch 22.
>
> ARIN is the Internet number registry for the region and ARIN
> policies apply to all number resources in the ARIN registry.
>
> If you feel that it would improve the situation to put the
> above into ARIN's number resource policy, then that is
> a much simpler task than making policy specific to legacy resources.

Yes, that would be simpler.  However, without clarifying also legacy
resources I'm not sure it would gain consensus.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952