[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 18 12:58:39 EDT 2012

On Jun 18, 2012, at 10:44 AM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> I still feel that if a "Legacy" resource is transferred from one party to
> another for whatever reason or through whatever mechanism it should no
> longer retain "Legacy" status.

This thread can be can be a tad confusing at times...  Let me
try to make plain the existing use of the term "legacy" -

There are several categories of IPv4 resources in the Internet
Registry System.  First, there are number resources which are
listed in the registries run by IANA or one of the other five
Regional Internet Registries.  For IPv4 number resources listed
with ARIN, there are some simple categories:

Legacy - Those number resources issued from the Internet Registry
System prior to ARIN’s inception on December 22, 1997.  Some of
these resources are under LRSA agreement and therefore under are
"Legacy under LRSA"  At this point, the significant difference
between the LRSA and RSA is the discounted fee schedule.

RSA - Those number resources issued by ARIN after its inception
on December 22, 1997.  These are under a standard RSA agreement.
There are also some earlier resources that may have been brought
under RSA agreements for parties that had both.

When resources are transferred via specified transfer (NRPM 8.3),
the recipient receives them subject to an registration services
agreement.  While we have had cases where this is an LRSA, the
default is the RSA and normal fee schedule.  In any case, all of
the registry policies apply to these number resources.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO