[arin-ppml] High Level Plan for Clarifying Legacy Resource Policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 15 04:33:53 EDT 2012

On Jun 14, 2012, at 5:10 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> From the discussions we have had I thought it might be a good idea to put down a high level plan for clarifying Legacy Resource Policy.  What does the community think?
>
> It is providing in an outline form, dashed items are my initial comments
>
> Is there anything missing?
>
> There seems to be little community support for eliminating or waving needs assessment for recipients of transfer of resources Legacy or otherwise.  So, I'm not sure those part of 171 are useful to create policy that can gain consensus.  I'll leave at that an not comment more.
>
> ------
>
> A. Define Legacy Resources
>
> - I believe 172 with Scott's mods is a good start on this
>
> B. Policies applies to all resources allocated by ARIN or one of its predecessor registries, unless transferred to the control of another RIR.
>
> - I think this is a given from NRPM Section 1.  But should be clearly stated and probably just added as a clarification to Section 1.
>
> C. Legacy Resources will not be reclaimed solely for lack of use
>
> - Essentially already policy via the LRSA terms, lets just clearly make it policy.  Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

No.  The fact that you get this bonus with your signature of an LRSA is one of the key carrots available to ARIN to induce LRSA signatures. No LRSA, no guarantee.

> D. ARIN needs a clear policy mechanism to reclaim Legacy Resources from defunct organization that are not otherwise covered by a signed RSA or LRSA, resources covered by RSA or LRSA have such a mechanism, non-payment of fees results in recovery. This needs proper protections, like commercially reasonable efforts to find a successor organization or a trustee of its estate, etc...  NOTE: However, all resource holders have allows had a clear obligation to maintain valid POC information. So at one level it is an organizations responsibility to remain contactable by ARIN.

This should, however, also include a provision that if ARIN discovers that the fees are getting paid by a third party and the original registrant is defunct, the resources are subject to immediate reclamation.

> -  This will be a lot of work, but we GOT to do it.  We've needed to do it for a long while.  Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

I think it's pretty well covered in section 12 already, but, if anything, expanding on section 12 would be the best place to do this IMHO.

I'm not sure that the policy needs to be legacy specific as it may be desirable to reclaim non-legacy resources from defunct organization at a point prior to the next billing cycle.

> E. Chain of Custody Validation
>
> -  This needs some work but whats in 171 might be a starting point. Probably should go in a new Legacy Resource Section.

Should not be legacy-specific.

Owen