[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-171 Section 8.4 Modifications: ASN and legacy resources

Blecker, Christoph christoph.blecker at ubc.ca
Thu Jun 14 14:20:05 EDT 2012

I think these threads have been a bit painful for everyone. I echo Michael's feelings in that IPv6 adoption has little to do with legacy address holdings, being that I work for an organization with both legacy holdings and IPv6 dual stack.

In my opinion, IPv4 numbers (like IPv6 numbers and ASNs) are community resources -- irrespective if they were given out before ARIN's inception or not. It's up to us as a community today to decide how they should be handled, for the good of the internet as a whole. Hopefully this can be done in a way that satisfies the reality of the business world today, but if push comes to shove, the interests of the internet at large should take precedence over those of private business. The current framework to support legacy holders seems to accomplish these goals fairly, including the existing 8.3 transfer scheme.

I stand opposed to both Prop 171 and 172.

Cheers,

--
Christoph Blecker
The University of British Columbia