[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:54:39 EDT 2012

[Milton L Mueller] huh? ARIN has no authority other than its written agreements.

>  2) It extends the scope
> ot "legacy" status well beyond the current de facto situation.

[Milton L Mueller] debatable.

>  3) It ignores that despite the lack or a written RSA, there was an
> understanding between ARIN's predecessors and address holders that the
> addresses were to be used for network numbering and management, were
> issued on a needs basis, and were to be returned or reallocated if the
> holder's needs changed.

[Milton L Mueller] utterly false, factually. The legacy allocations made in the 1980s did not carry any such implications, you are reading current policies and obligations backwards into history.