[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Jun 9 16:12:42 EDT 2012

On 07-Jun-12 16:42, William Herrin wrote:
> On 6/7/12, Bill Sandiford <bill at telnetcommunications.com> wrote:
>> So just out of curiosity, and certainly not proposing this, would do you expect the outcome would be if the community passed a policy that stated that ARIN would no longer maintain registrations in its databases for registrants with which no contract exists?
> Assuming the Board lost its collective mind and the membership allowed
> it to happen...
>
> 1. Someone or several someones (possibly including me) would set up
> unofficial "legacy whois" servers whose only purpose is to document
> the legacy registrations.

Who would pay for this service?  And how would its operators decide
policy, who gets to be included, resolve disputes, etc.?

Note that most legacy holders have already proven unwilling to pay for
the community to do any of these things or agree (in writing) to abide
by the community's rules.  What makes you think they would be willing to
do so in the case of a third-party registrar that didn't even have
ARIN's veneer of authority as successor registrar?

> Some few ISPs might play along with ARIN, but most would consult one or a few of the legacy databases when determining whether to route a customer's addresses.

Are you sure about that?  And what do you think ISPs would do when those
alternative registrars disagree on who the proper registrant is?

> 2. Sued by the class of legacy registrants, ARIN would NOT be
> compelled to provide services to folks who are not under contract,
> past courtesies notwithstanding. But see #4...

I agree.

> 3. Granting declaratory relief, the same court would enjoin ARIN from
> reissuing legacy space to new recipients or reporting that the blocks
> are in use by anyone other than the original registrants.

That's a reasonable temporary measure a court could take while the suits
were pending.  However, in the meantime, these registrations would /not/
be visible in ARIN's database, which has effects on how ISPs would treat
them, and they'd become even more of a magnet for spammers et al than
they already are.

> 4. ARIN's primacy over RDNS for the legacy /8's would be challenged,
> in some combination of court and administrative proceedings with DOC.
> Bet on ARIN blinking first. With contracted registrants in the same
> /8's; ARIN has more to lose. After #3 it won't be worth the fight.

I don't see DOC/IANA/ICANN pulling ARIN's RDNS delegations if there are
still contracted registrants to be served.

> In short, it would fracture the registry ultimately leaving someone
> other than ARIN responsible for documenting the legacy space. At least
> that's what it looks like in my crystal ball.

I disagree.  RIPE and APNIC already went through this (i.e. dictating
that legacy registrants had to pay for service like everyone else), with
AFAIK no complains from above, so there is precedent for allowing it to
happen.  The sky did not fall.