[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 7 17:28:24 EDT 2012

On 6/6/12, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources
>
> A legacy resource is an IPv4 address or Autonomous System Number that
> satisfies both of the following two criteria:
>
> (1)     it was issued to an entity (other than a Regional Internet
> Registry) or individual (the "original legacy holder") prior to ARIN's
> inception on Dec 22, 1997 either by an organization authorized by the
> United States to perform the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
> ("IANA") functions or an Internet Registry; and
>
> (2)     the original legacy holder (or its legal successor or assign)
> has not expressly relinquished its registration of such IPv4 address
> or Autonomous System Number pursuant to a binding written agreement
> with an RIR or the written consent of the original legacy holder (or
> its legal successor or assign) submitted to the RIR for subsequent
> allocation and assignment of the IPv4 address or Autonomous System
> Number to another entity or individual in accordance with the RIR's
> number resource policies and membership (or service) agreements.

Opposed as written.

(1) is not an accurate description of the legacy registrations as
they've been colloquially referenced. It may not, for example,
recognize the registrations made by Jon Postel before DARPA first
contracted the SRI NIC to manage Internet numbers. The early Internet
was a relatively haphazard research project without a whole lot of
"authorization" by anybody for anything. We carry that legacy with us.

(2) obstructs reasonable ARIN activity, such as recovering abandoned addresses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004