[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Lindsey, Marc mlindsey at lb3law.com
Wed Jun 6 00:18:29 EDT 2012

Donald - Thank you.

John - I do recognize the difference between staff operational processes intended to implement policy and policy.  However, I disagree that my definition as proposed (including the second criteria) is not the proper subject matter for policy discussion.

It seems to me that legacy numbers should not lose their status as legacy numbers unless they are intentionally returned by the rightful holder to an RIR or another historic number authority to be re-allocated by an RIR or other number authority to another registrant under RSA (or equivalent). I suspect further tweaking of the language may be required to capture the desirable "release/return" permutations and others may disagree with my premise, but this really is a policy question.  David Farmer's point, which I acknowledge as a good one, is that it may be too much policy to include in a definition.  My best, though maybe not compelling, counter to his point is that there is always a little policy/substance in important definitions.

I gather from your comments that you're concerned that requiring specific formalities (like a contract or written consent, which by the way, can be in electronic form) to perfect releases/returns of legacy numbers to ARIN (or another number authority) might render some prior returns/releases ineffective, and unsettle ARIN's authority to re-allocate those numbers.

Given the implications, I believe releases/returns of this sort should, as a matter of policy -- not just operational process, be supported by documentation validating the release/return. Without this, there is a risk that prior returns not properly documented will be challenged by the original registrant or its successors or assigns (whether or not my proposed definition is adopted).

Yet adoption of my proposed definition by itself would not render prior returns ineffectual, and would not establish specific processes ARIN staff must employ to accept returns of legacy numbers to replenish the pool. Only future substantive policy changes, changes in staff operational processes, or court orders/decisions are likely to do that.

Marc Lindsey