[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-178 Regional Use of Resources

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Jul 14 01:04:19 EDT 2012

On 7/13/12 22:36 CDT, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> On 7/13/12, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> X.2. Headquartered in the ARIN Region
>>
>> Only organizations headquartered in the ARIN service region are entitled
>> to receive resources from ARIN for use outside the region, in excess of
>> the incidental use defined above, to operate a connected multi-region
>
> Why both a "Headquartered in the ARIN region" requirement _and_ an
> incidental use limit?

Its not both, as in "and", but its an "or", if your "Headquartered in
Region" there is no limit to your use outside the region, "entitled to
receive resources from ARIN for use outside the region, in excess of the
incidental use defined above."  OR, If your NOT "Headquartered in
Region" you are limited to incidental use outside the region, "and may
use an incidental total of its ARIN registered resources outside the
region".

Also, if your "Headquartered in Region" but don't want to deal with the
operational justification in X.2 you can still use a small amount of
ARIN resources outside the region to say address your backbone, but then
get the rest of your addresses from the other RIRs.

However, I suggest that "Headquartered in Region" and "Incidental Use"
actually serve completely different purposes.

The purpose of "Incidental Use" is to provide some flexibility to
everyone, even those headquartered outside the region.  The intent is
not to play "gotcha" with people, or be a "hard ass" about it, we need
to make the policy easy to comply with.  While still creating a
principle of "Regional Use".  Basically it says "Your getting resources
to use in the ARIN region, but if you need to use a small amount outside
the region, go ahead, as long as its small". That's what "Incidental
Use" is all about.

"Headquartered in Region" serves a completely different purpose. It
allows you to get "a single globally aggregatable allocation" if your
willing to do that.  Without "Headquartered in Region" you have to get 5
separate prefixes to operate a global network, this will create
unnecessary growth in the route table and that effects everyone.

So "Incidental Use" is about flexibility and "Headquartered in Region"
is about global aggregation where possible.

> I would say, if an organization  is legally recognized by government
> bodies in the region as
> an organization that exists, does business in the region,  can enter
> contracts in the region,  and owns assets in the region that require
> IP addresses;  they should not be restricted from obtaining resources
> from ARIN,  just because they are headquartered elsewhere.

There are allowed, everyone is allowed to get resources for use in the
ARiN region, that is what X.1 says.  X.2 is about who is entitled to get
large amounts of resources for use outside the region.

Does this need additional clarification in the policy or rationale?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952