[arin-ppml] Board Adopts Draft Policies

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 10 16:08:42 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Not adopted:
> At this time the Board has not adopted 2011-1: Inter-RIR transfers. As
> stated in the minutes, "The ARIN Board of Trustees takes the recommendation
> of Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: Inter-RIR Transfers formally under advisement
> pending a final community discussion at the ARIN XXIX Public Policy Meeting

Sudden outbreak of common sense.

> in Vancouver, British Columbia. Furthermore, the Board of Trustees directs
> the President immediately start implementation of this policy in parallel,
> with final policy availability held until otherwise directed by the Board."
> See the minutes for more information on this item.

https://www.arin.net/about_us/bot/bot2011_1216.html section 4

While I concur with the board's assessment that ARIN should prepare to
implement a policy substantially similar to 2011-1, I submit that
2011-1 as written violates fundamental expectations of any fair and
equitable industry self-regulation.

1. Draft policy 2011-1 intentionally provides addresses from ARIN to
registrants outside the ARIN region according to NUMBER POLICY NOT
DEVELOPED BY THE ARIN community. As discussed during the last-call
debate, there is substantial reason to believe such policies can and
in some cases will favor out-region and multinational registrants in a
manner which reduces the local ARIN community's access to ARIN-managed
addresses.

2. Draft policy 2011-1 neither contemplates nor requires reciprocal
transfer policies in other regions which receive addresses from ARIN.
This disadvantages members of the ARIN community who must compete with
registrants in the other four regions for ARIN addresses even as the
same ARIN REGISTRANTS ARE BARRED FROM COMPETING for addresses from
those regions.

Respectfully yours,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004